Health Administration and Supporting Services
Administration and Supporting Services are provided by the Board’s Department of Health and Environmental Protection. This department is a Public Health Service Agency that offers a full range of health services in compliance with the New Jersey Public Health Practice Standards of Performance.
One of the missions of the Township of Union Health Department is to prevent the premature onset of disease and disability and to help all residents achieve healthier, more productive lives.
The health department is committed to maintaining, protecting, and promoting the health of its residents through organized health promotion and disease prevention efforts. One way to meet this objective is by striving to adhere to state wide standards established by law to monitor health departments. Mandates established within minimum standards include the following 4 core functions and 10 essential services:
Core Function 1 - Assessment
Assessment, monitoring, and surveillance of local health problems and needs, and of resources for dealing with them.
- Monitor health status and understand health issues facing the community.
- Protect people from health problems and health hazards.
Policy development and leadership that fosters local involvement and a sense of ownership that emphasizes local needs and that advocates equitable distribution of public resources and complementary private activities commensurate with community needs.
- Give people the information they need to make healthy choices.
- Engage the community to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop public health policies and plans.
Core Function 3 - Assurance
- Enforce public health law and regulations.
- Help people receive health services.
- Maintain a competent public health workforce.
- Evaluate and improve programs.
Core Function 4 - System Management
- Contribute to and apply the evidence base of public health.